Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Quiet (#SOL16 Post 8)

The quiet of the day was something that I experienced yesterday.

So weird.
So different.

Unfortunately I was home sick and all alone.

Sounds wonderful, right? Just having some time alone?

I do admit I wouldn't have been able to be a very good wife, mother or teacher while sick... but it was quiet, almost too quiet. I needed the rest and relaxation and to be home, however it was hard.

It's quite amazing in the sense that there are days where all I want is quite, or space, or two seconds to myself.


I want... to be able to start and finish a project without being interrupted.
I want... to go to the bathroom without little fingers pounding on the door.
I want... to read for fun.
I want... to do something for myself.
I want I want I want..... UGH! Doesn't that sound horrible?  I know we've all been there, but seriously what was I saying and thinking?!


However, once I got it.. I didn't want it so much.  The house was quiet and still. The little pitter patter of tiny footprints weren't running back and forth through the house nor was his voice.  I had the opportunity to do things for myself like take a bath, or read a magazine or watch something on TV from the DVR from months ago... and all I could do was lay in bed, cuddling with the dog and waiting for the time for everyone to come home. For the sound and the chaos that I call life to be back to normal.

Have you ever thought this? Why is it that we want certain things but then we get them and we don't really want them or like them?!

I'm excited to be on post 8 of the Slice of Life writing challenge.  Check out the great posts that are being written from all over the place. I have enjoyed this first week of reading and reflecting and writing myself!



Thanks for stopping by!

Ana


9 comments:

  1. I feel that way sometime as well. Just can't wait for the chaos to stop, but then it is too quiet. My oldest will be leaving for college in August. As crazy as she makes me, I'm sure I'll feel unsettled as her familiar sounds are absent. Hope your feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am feeling a bit better. It always stinks when you're sick. Isn't it funny that we want one thing and then once we get it we don't necessarily want it anymore? I'm reminded of a saying about grass being greener! :) Good luck with the coming up transition of your oldest heading to college. You'll do great!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that way about summer break. I can't wait for it to arrive and everything is great until July rolls in. Then I want my routine and structure back. I guess that's why we have the saying, "The grass is always greener on the other side."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh yes--- summer break. As soon as it gets here I'm all for it and then the closer it gets to winding down the more and more I want routine too! I just mentioned that exact quote to someone else who left me a comment. Super funny! That darn grass!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you challenge us to look at our perspective. I hope you are feeling better!!! So glad you're slicing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I tend to do that a lot when I write, I guess. I'm learning something new everyday about my style. I guess I love to share but then also like to hear about what others think on the same topic. It's always interesting to get new perspectives even if they aren't like our own. I am feeling a little better. Not 100% but I will take anything from what it was! :) Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate them and for you stopping by.
      Ana

      Delete
  6. My mother sometimes told me to be careful what I wish for. Perhaps this is the kind of thing she meant. It seems as if you spent the day reflecting, and although you missed your "regular" life, maybe it was still a good thing. And you did get the rest to get well, too. I love your thoughtful post. Thanks, Ana.

    ReplyDelete