Have you ever just had the moment where you don't know what to write?
It's funny, because I always have something to say.
Why is that when you sit down, it all escapes your mind?
That's what is happening to me today.
I've made it 19 days on this challenge,
and today for the first time... I don't know what to write about.
I'm just going to share with you my exact moment now.... Let's see how that goes!
I'm sitting at the table right now with my 2 year old.
He's eating lunch.
Taking apart the pieces of his peanut butter and jelly and licking the jelly off first.
He looks over with a sly smile on his face, like he's doing something wrong.
He puts the sandwich back together, and then opens it up again saying "OPEN...OPEN" over and over. He checks to see if there is any more jelly and when he realizes that there isn't he puts the pieces together, sets down the sandwich and goes for a new piece to repeat the same thing.
He's drinking milk.... and peaking out at me through the top of his sippy cut. He giggles that giggle that is contagious. I can't help but to laugh back, so now it's a game.
I take a second to look out at my yard, through the sliding glass door in front off me. I see the beautiful corn field beyond the fence, and trees for as far as I can see. The sky is grey today... which doesn't look very promising for any sun to grace us.
However, it does also seem nice and relaxing. We really don't have anything to do today but play!
What are you doing today... or better yet, what are you doing at this moment?

Watching our children and writing our observations are always the best things to write about. My children are all in their 20's now and we look back in my notebooks at the silly things they did and I am grateful that I wrote. I can see that little boy and also my own who used to live on those peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. :-) Thank you for bringing back the memory.
ReplyDeleteI am so surprised that I haven't thought to do this sooner! It's a great way to capture memories as well. I'm glad I could bring you back to the memory of PB and J sandwiches!
DeleteWatching our children and writing our observations are always the best things to write about. My children are all in their 20's now and we look back in my notebooks at the silly things they did and I am grateful that I wrote. I can see that little boy and also my own who used to live on those peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. :-) Thank you for bringing back the memory.
ReplyDeleteThis is a perfect slice. You are fully in the NOW.
ReplyDeleteThank you! It was a great experience...I'm really looking forward to doing it again soon!
DeleteYou did it! You brought us right into your kitchen. Sometimes writer's block can be a blessing in disguise.
ReplyDeleteThank you ! I am super thrilled with how this turned out as well! I guess it can be a blessing at times! :)
DeleteThis is the best way to overcome writer's block! I love how you wrote about a moment that's happening right now, one of those seemingly ordinary moments that you would forget if not captured in this slice.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sarah! I really want to do more of this to keep track of those ordinary memories in a different way. :)
DeleteLove that "sly smile"! Just testing to see if you can enjoy too. It's certainly a challenge to write these posts every day for 31 days! I felt my energy and enthusiasm flagging around Day 11, but I've had pretty good momentum since. If I get stuck, I'm going to borrow your idea here for writing this very moment. Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your words, Elisabeth. I appreciate your kind words. I am starting to get a little low on writing ideas, so I"m glad that this popped into my head. I hope to see some others doing the same thing! It was fun!
DeleteYour description of your son brings me to your table. I love the writing the moment idea! I wonder how it would work in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your day!
Your description of your son brings me to your table. I love the writing the moment idea! I wonder how it would work in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your day!
Thanks Noel! I tried something new, and it totally worked. I love how it turned out. I love the idea of doing it in my classroom. I might just have to do that one day!
DeleteWhat a wonderful description of your slice of life! I can see your little boy manipulating his sandwich and peeking at you. You will love having this moment to remember years from now when he doesn't play with his food anymore.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your kind words! I am really excited with how it turned out and I'm glad I thought of it when I needed it the most! At first it was just a multi-tasking solution and then it worked out perfectly!
DeleteI often struggle with what to write about. But, you did write and gave us a wonderful description of your son licking the jelly off his pb & j. I love it!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I did write... that's the best part. I was starting to get worried that I was stuck.... I can't quit this far into the challenge! :)
DeleteI love hearing about your two year old, Ana, a great slice of that very moment. It won't be long before he's eating all the PB&J. And how nice to have an open day of play.
ReplyDeleteAwe thanks Linda. I always wonder if I write about him too much??!! I don't want people to get bored of it, but right now that's a huge part of something new in my life. We did enjoy our open day with friends and family. The unplanned day turned into a great one!
DeleteThis line says it all: "He giggles that giggle that is contagious." A great strategy for all slicers: what is happening right now!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Keith. I am thrilled with what it turned out like! I hope others will use this strategy too!
DeleteThis line says it all: "He giggles that giggle that is contagious." A great strategy for all slicers: what is happening right now!
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed that it's 19 days before you have a slice where you don't know what to write. I think I wrote one like this on day four. A beautiful and mindful moment captured here! Love this!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Michelle. I was impressed too..hahah! I'm thankful that you stopped by and that you liked it. I appreciate your sweet comments!
DeleteWonderful description of your 2 yr old - could just imagine him sitting eating with you. Lovely
ReplyDeleteThanks Beverley! I am really excited with how it turned out and it made me look at a seemingly ordinary part of our day so differently! ;)
Delete