Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Thunder and Rain {#SOL16 Day 16}

Yesterday, we had our first real SPRING storm!
It was quite amazing to sit and listen to the thunder roll in,
and to see flashes of lightning from behind the window treatments.

I'm not typically a huge fan of storms. 
In fact I don't like them at all. 

I laid in bed, catching up on blogs and pinterest,
and could literally feel the walls shaking.

I looked at the baby monitor at least a hundred times,
and the little one laid without movement, or interruption from the noise.

It always brings me back to a time when I was little,
and experienced one of the scariest moments in my life. 

"The day started off like any other spring/summer day. I played outside, I couldn't have been any older than 2nd grade.  My parents were working in the garden, the birds were singing loudly and the air felt thick.  It wasn't in the heart of summer yet, but some days were feeling really warm.  So storms were common at that time of year. We did something that night, that we didn't usually do.  We ordered out for dinner. Pizza.  I even called and placed the order myself, and I was so proud.  I begged to go with my dad to pick up the pizza, even though the clouds started rolling in.  We got dinner, and started the treck home. 

At first it was nothing major, however as we got closer and closer to home it was apparent that it went from nothing to something very quickly.  The wind picked up, the rain came pouring down and it was impossible to see very far in front of us.  Trees were coming down everywhere left and right.  I begged my dad to keep going.  Please get us home, we're so close.  One tree was blocking the road, and the car even stalled as we tried to pass.  We did pass and kept slowing heading to the last intersection before we could be home. 

Then it suddenly happened. Out of nowhere. It almost seemed like we were sliding, but that couldn't be, there was no ice.  But we did... right through the intersection that we stop at everyday to get home.  There was another car. We hit. We swerved. The windshield cracked. I remember the seatbelt locking and holding me in tight.  As the wind swirled around us, and we could hear the warning sirens going off, my dad yelled for me to get to the ditch.  We laid there. Him protecting me as we weren't sure what was really going to happen.  We tried running up to the house on the corner. No answer.  My dad just kept saying he wanted me home. I needed to be home. 

I was fine and not a scratch was on me. People started stopping to help and asking what they could do. Someone took me home. A stranger. I was scared.  He was nice. Soft spoken and drove a blue van. I rushed inside and fell on the front step and cut my foot open. The rest is a blur. A memory that I don't really remember other than running straight to the basement, to make sure my mom and brother were ok. I knew they were in the basement. That's where I feel safe when it rains. It's so hard not to think of it every time it storms."

Getting over fears are hard. I still hold this one close.
I'm thankful to have been safe. 
My dad was safe.

Isn't it interesting to think back on a situation and what you remember from it?
I also remember wearing my clear jelly shoes.
Random! But true.




6 comments:

  1. So scary, Ana! You recalled this memory with such detail that I could feel your fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes scary. I'm trying to not worry so much so I don't put the worry on H.

      Delete
  2. Storms can be scary, especially when on the road. We don't have such severe rainstorms where I live now, but your memory stirs some in me from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very scary this time of year. I don't look forward to it, however summer isn't too far behind then! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes scary. I still remember it so clearly so many years later.

      Delete